• Zinc oxide is a natural mineral known as zincite. It has been used safely for generations to shield against the harmful effects of the sun.
• Zinc oxide is used because it provides a thin film of micro-fine particles over the skin. This ensures a protective physical barrier over the skin ensuring the mostcomplete protection for your skin all year round.
• Physical sun blocks, such as zinc oxide, work by physically reflecting the sun’s rays and are effective against both UV-B and UV-A rays.
• Unlike chemical sunscreen ingredients, zinc oxide cannot be absorbed into the skin and is not metabolized by the body.
• Additionally, unlike most chemical sunscreen ingredients, zinc oxide is known to be stable and it won’t degrade in the sun. As well, it is the only sunscreen ingredient recognized by the FDA as a Category I Skin Protectant and is recommended for use on environmentally challenged skin.
• Zinc oxide is for the most part insoluble in water, but is soluble in acids and alkalis. Used as a Sunscreen and anti-bacteria in cosmetics, zinc oxide has excellent screen effect to UV-A and UV-B.
• Safe for use on lips, face, body and nails.
• Zinc oxide is the only ingredient that is FDA recognised as having both UVB and UVA broad spectrum protection
• Zinc oxide is Micronised (nanoparticles) so that our skin does not have that heavy white effect on the surface (like traditional zinc formulas). This makes the treatment practical and means people actually wear it.
• Chemical sunscreen ingredients are designed to absorb portions of the UVB (burning rays) or UVA (cause of aging and skin cancer) rays and are often used in combination to achieve adequate UVB and at best, limited UVA protection.
• Many sunscreens only protect against UVB rays and allow penetration of damaging UVA rays
Most people think that sunscreens protect against skin cancer. While sunscreens do protect against sunburn, there is no scientific proof that they protect against melanoma or basal cell carcinoma in humans.
UV-B rays are most commonly associated with sunburns but it is the UV-A rays which penetrate through the outer layers of the skin to the dermis, or base layer of the skin.
UV-A rays are thought by many to cause wrinkling or premature aging of the skin. As well, UV-A rays can cause suppression of the immune system and can contribute to the development of melanoma. Sunscreens which chemically absorb rays have long been effective against UV-B rays. New chemicals are being added today to help screen some UV-A rays. Some of these chemicals, however, are thought to deteriorate in light and could possibly interrupt with UV-B absorbing ingredients, while others can cause irritations to the skin or worse.
Common sunscreen ingredients are suspected or known carcinogens and/or hormone disrupters, including diethanolamine, triethanolamine (DEA, TEA), padimate-o, octyl dimethyl
PABA, benzophenone, oxybenzone, homosalate, octyl-methoxycinnamate (octinoxate), salicylates, and parabens.
Is there a safe sunscreen product?
We need to choose what offers the least harm. Of course, covering with clothing is always the safest, but this is not always practical, especially if our kids will be swimming in the sun for long periods. Recommendations: stay out of the sun from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. or cover with hats and clothing during these times. If you will be out in the sun for long periods or swimming, use a micronised zinc oxide sunscreen (my daughter will never go for the white residue of the regular zinc oxide).
Moderate sunshine every day is healthy. Exposed to longer periods of sun means we need to protect ourselves with the least toxic means possible.
Our natural sunscreen product "Suncare Plus" has micronised zinc oxide as the only active ingredient. There will always be articles that claim that zinc oxide could be unsafe. We can't say it's 100% safe (no product natural or chemical based can make this claim!). But it is the least toxic option that provides the greatest protection, next to covering up with clothing.
“Suncare plus” is an everyday natural skin care treatment that provides effective hydration, makes your skin feel and look great whilst providing 100% natural sun care with Zinc Oxide protection. Hydration and protection against the environments harmful effects, with or without a hint of colour!
Suncare plus has Antioxidant rich ingredients that help protect against free radical damage like pollution and overexposure to the elements. Instead of common synthetic chemical ingredients, Suncare Plus provides natural zinc oxide, botanical extracts and antioxidants for a completely natural, hypo- allergenic non whitening formula that protects, moisturises and soothes your skin. Formulated with Pure Aloe Vera, Shea Butter and Grape seed Oil, your skin will maintain deep moisture without ever feeling greasy. Suitable for all skin types oily or dry and of course it is recommended for sensitive skin, young children and babies.
The sunscreen mineral is zinc oxide, which is recognised as the most effective natural screen against sun. Sunscreen without the toxicity. Natural Skin Care comfortable to use on babies, children, adults, grandparents… the whole family!